Environmental factors influence crop production:
(i) temperature; (4 marks)
- Affect quality of certain crops eg pineapples, pyrethrum.
- Influence the rate of physiological processes in a crop, hence faster growth rate
- Cause increase in incidences of diseases.
- Low temperatures cause frost injury
- High temperatures increase rate of evatranspiration hence wilting
- Influence distribution of crops
(ii) wind. (5 marks)
- Strong winds increase the rate of evaporation/evapotranspiration/wilting
- Influences amount of rainfall in the given area
- Help in pollination of crops
- Strong winds have a cooling effect which influences rate of physiological processes.
- Strong winds may cause soil erosion
- Strong winds may cause lodging/destruction of certain crop structures
- Winds can spread diseases/pests/weeds.
- Winds help in seed dispersal
- Winds is fed in crop cleaning/winnowing of grains