Precautions taken in harvesting tea;
- Plucked tea should be put in woven baskets and not polythene to allow free air movement.
- Pluck two leaves and a bud only because 3-4 leaves colder leaves) lower the quality due to low level of caffeine
- Leaves should not be compressed in the baskets as this can cause them to heat up and turn brown.
- Plucked tea should be kept cool and shaded while plucking continues and awaiting transportation to the factory.
- Plucked tea should be taken to the factory the same day it is harvested.