Describe the harvesting of sugarcane
Harvesting of sugarcane
- Sugarcane mature 18-20 months whereas ration take 16mths in western. In coast it takes 14months and ratoon crop take 12months.
- Samples should be taken for quality testing in the factory.
- If the quality is ok harvesting should start immediately.
- Cut the cane at the ground level to avoid loss of the yield.
- After cutting cane the green tops are removed immediately.
- The leaves should be stripped.
- Harvesting is done using a cane harvesting matchettes.
- Harvested cane should be delivered to the factory within the first 24hrs.