Describe the political organization of the Asante Empire.
- The Asante Empire was ruled by the Asante hene.
- The Asante hene was advised by a confederacy or union council consisting of kings and the states forming union.
- The state kings were known as Omanhenes.
- The Asante States were bound together by the Golden stool which was a symbol of unity.
- Each king had to give a contingence of soldiers when required by the Asante hene.
- Each sState had to pay tribute during wars and national emergencies.
- The annual Odwira festival strengthened the spirit of solidarity and national hood.
- There was a strong standing army for defence of the empire.