Possible reasons for the decline in the number of tourists since 1997 (4 mks)
- High degree of insecurity caused by 1997 Likoni clashes in Mombasa, a major tourist destination in the country.
- Tourist attack like in 1998 bombing in Nairobi and other attacks directed to tourist resorts
- The tense atmosphere preceding the parliamentary elections in 1997
- Poor transport and communication after massive destruction caused by 1997 Elnino rains
- Negative travel advisory made by some governments cautioning their citizen against visiting Kenya