reasons why divorce is rare in traditional African communities
- Marriage is permanent/highly valued
- There is investigation concerning the families to be involved in the marriages/courtship allowed in some communities
- Many people are involved in marriage negotiations
- The wife belongs to both the husband and the wider community
- Payment of dowry/getting children seal the marriage.
- Elaborate marriage procedures/ritual make it difficult for one to divorce
- Fear of paying fines/returning bride wealth in case of divorce/lose of dignity
- Marriage disputes are handled by the parents /elders
- In case of bareness/impotence an alternative is sought e.g polygamy
- Boys/girls are taught about sex family life
- Gender roles are clearly observed.