KCPE PAST PAPERS 2007 SCIENCE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
1. Which one of the following is NOT CORRECTLY matched with its function?
A. Oesophagus passage of food
B. Stomach mixes food with enzymes
C. Small intestine complete digestion of food
D. Large intestine absorbs digested food
2. Which one of the following is NOT A CORRECt statement about reproduction in human beings?
A. Fertilization takes plae in the uterus
B. The zygote get implanted in the wall of the uterus
C. The blood of the mother and foetus do not mix
D. Menstruation stop durin pregnancy
3. The blood vessel through which deoxygenated blood flows to the heart is the
B. Pulmonary artery
C. Vena cava
D. Pulmonary vein
4. Which one of the following changes take place during adolescence in boys only?
A. Fast body growth
B. Growth of pubic hair
C. Chest and shoulders become broader
D. Releasing of sex cells
5. Which of the following statements is TRUE about HIV and AIDS?
A. All HIV positive people have AIDS
B. During the window stages a person may test negative
C. It can be transmitted by sharing utensils
D. It is not spread during the asymptomatic phase
6. Which one of the following is NOT a communicable disease?
A. Whooping cough
7. A child suffering from kwashiorkor should be given a diet rich in
8. Wearing protective clothing while walking in stagnant water can prevent one from contracting
C. Typhoid and cholera
D. Bilharzia and cholera
9. Which of the following statement is CORRECT according to immunization schedule of infacts?
A. The first dose of polio is given at 6 weeks
B. DPT vaccine is given at birth and 10 weeks
C. DPT and measles vaccine are given at 14 weeks
D. Polio and BGG vaccines are given at birth
10. Plantes appear bright because they
A. Reflect light
B. Produce light
C. All twinkle
D. Are large
11. A pupil gave the following reasons as to why dairy cattle are given commercial feeds.
i. To increase milk production
ii. Given only to cattle under zero grazing
iii. To supplement other feeds
iv. Only when folder crops and pasture are not available.
Which two reasons are CORRECT?
B. (ii) and(iv)
C. (i) and( iv)
D. (ii) and (iii)
12. The diagram below represent a set-up that is used to lift load.
To investigate the force required to lift the load a spring balance must be at
13. The following are some methods of preserving foods:
Which method are traditional?
A. (ii), (iv) and (v)
B. (ii), (iii) and (v)
C. (i), (iii) and (iv)
D. (i), (ii) and (iv)
14. Which one of the following pairs of machines belongs to the same group as a ladder?
A. Claw hammer and bottle opener
B. Spade and fishing rod
C. Staircase and road winding uphill
D. Handcart and wheelbarrow
15. The reason why an ordinary jiko without a clay lining is not recommended for use is because
A. It pollutes the environment
B. Of the large amounts of charcoal used
C. It takes a long time when cooking
D. It gets too hot to hold
16. The following are liquids added together in glass bottles labelled P,Q,R and S by some pupils.
P- kerosene and cooking oil
Q- water and cooking oil
R-milk and water
S- milk and kerosene
Which glass bottle contains liquids that cannot be separed by decanting?
17. Which one of the folowing plants is green and non-flowering?
18. Which one of the following consists of a pair of storage pests?
A. Rats and aphids
B. White ants and rats
C. Aphids and cutworms
D. White ants and cutworms
19. Which one of the following is a possible food chain that could be found in a grassland inhabited by hawks, frogs, snakes, mice and grasshoppers?
A. Grass—– grasshopper ——frogs—– snakes
B. Grass —–grasshoper—–frogs——mice
D. Grass—— grasshopper —–hawks—snakes
20. Which one of the following is TRUE for both chickens and frogs? Both
A. Have a constant body temparature
B. Have scales
C. Breath by lungs
D. Feed on insects only
21. Which one of the following is NOT a rotational method of grazing?
22. Birds whiich feed on nectar have
A. Short pointed beaks
B. Strong curved beaks
C. Long slender pointed beaks
D. Long slender curved beaks
23. In which one of the following practices is water re-used?
A. Using dirty water from the kitchen for watering plants
B. Collecting rainwater from the roof for domestic uses
C. Getting clean water from dirty water by boiling and cooling the steam
D. Storing water in dams to be used in irrigation
24. The texture of a soil type depends on the
A. Amount of water in the soil
B. Organic matter in the soil
C. Amount of mineral particles in the soil
D. Size of soil particles
25. The component that makes up 0.97% of air is used in
B. Preservatiuon of soft drinks
C. Electic bulb
D. Making proteins
26. Which one of the following pairs of processes ia as a result of increase in temperature?
A. Melting and evaporation
B. Condensation and freezing
C. Condensation and evaporation
D. Melting and freezing
27. The diagram below show a set up that was used to demonstrate a certain property of matter.
The coloured water rises up the straw because
A. Liquids expand when heated
B. Liquids occupy space
C. Air occupies space
D. Air expands when heated
28. A sufuria made up of steel weighing 1000g floats on water while a nail made of iron weighing 50g sinks.
This is because of difference in
A. Type of material
29. Which of the following material will NOT be required in an experiment to show that pressure in a liquid increase with depth?
A. Tin can
D. Collecting jar
30. The diagram below represnts a circuit that can be used to make a temporary magnet.
The energy transformation that occurs at the section marked P is
A. Electrical____ magnetic
B. Chemical ____ electrical
C. Heat _____ electricity
D. Chemical ____ magnetic
31. The following are forms of energy
The two forms of energy that DO NOT require a medium for transmission are
A. (ii) and (iv)
B. (i) and (iii)
C. (i) and (ii)
D. (iii) and (iv)
32. The following practices help to conserve energy:
i. Using improved firewood jikos
ii. Switching off light that use hydro-electric power when not needed
iii. Using public transport whenever possible
iv. Using biogas for cooking
Which Two practice conserve non- renewable source of energy?
A. (i) and (ii)
B. (ii) and (iii)
C. (ii) and (iv)
D. (iii) and (iv)
33. Which of the following is a recommended practice to avoid being struck by lighting?
A. Sheltering under tree
B. Using an umberalla when in an open field
C. Sheltering while leaning on a wall
D. Wearing rubber shoes with thick soles
34. Which one of the following group consists of only foodstuff that are used for body buiding and repair?
A. Rice, orange, meat
B. Wheat, fish, maize
C. Beans, potatoes, groundnuts
D. Eggs, peas, milk
35. The function of fibre in the human diet is to
A. Provide the body with nutrients
B. Transport digested food
C. Prevent constipation
D. Help in digestion of food
36. Which one of following statements is NOT TRUE about the force that opposes movement the force
A. Can be reduced be streamlinig
B. Makes the load heavier
C. Increase effort required to move the load
D. Produce heat
37. A farmer noticed small and shallow channels forming in the soil in the garden due to running water. This type of soil erosion is called
38. Which one of the following plants is a cereal?
39. Which one of the following consists of a pair plants tha CANNOT make their own food?
A. Fern and pine
B. Toadstool and moss
C. Puffball and mould
D. Cedar and yeast
40. Which one of the following pairs of parasites can be controlled by spraying?
A. Ticks and fleas
B. Liver flukes and tsetse flies
C. Fleas and liver flukes
D. Ticks and tapeworms
41. Which one of the following sources of electricity pollutes the environment?
B. Wind-driven generators
C. Hydro-electric generators
D. Petrol-driven generators
42. Which one of the following is a natural way of lighting a house ? using a
C. Hurricane lamp
D. Transparent roof
43. Which one of the following components is found in all environments?
44. Which one of the following groups of methods can be used to separate solid mixtures only?
A. Sieving, picking, winnowing
B. Picking, use of magnet, decanting
C. Winnowing, sieving, filtration
D. Use of magnet, filtration
E. Use of magnet, filtration, decanting
45. Which one of the following DOES NOT function the same way as a bicycle dynamo when used to produce electricity?
A. Hydro-electric generator
B. Car battery
C. Diesel generator
D. Wind driven turbines
46. The diagram below represent a simple machine.
Which of the position labelled P,Q and R would represent the load, effort and function when the machine is in use?
Load effort fulcrum
A. P Q R
B. R P Q
C. Q P R
D. R Q P
47. The diagram below represents a block of wood being pushed along pushed a surface towards point X
Which one of the arrows represents the direction of the force of friction?
48. Which one of the following consists of only material that are ALL non-magnetic?
A. Aluminimim foil, a shilling coin
B. Iron nails, staple pins
C. Metal scissors, steel wool
D. Piece of glass, sewing needle
49. The reason why coloured water is used in the construction of a liquid thermometer is to
A. Make it visible
B. Make it expand faster
C. Make it absorb more heat
D. Increase its density
50. Which one of the following is the largest plant?