According to the Bible, Zacharias’ prophecy about John the Baptist can be found in the book of Luke, chapter 1, verses 13-17:
“But the angel said to him, ‘Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your prayer is heard; and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb. And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”Luke, chapter 1, verses 13-17
In this passage, Zacharias is visited by an angel who announces that his wife Elizabeth will bear a son named John. The angel reveals several important aspects of John’s future:
- John will bring joy and gladness, and many people will rejoice at his birth.
- He will be great in the sight of the Lord.
- John will abstain from wine and strong drink (Nazirite vow).
- He will be filled with the Holy Spirit from his mother’s womb.
- Through John, many children of Israel will turn to the Lord their God.
- He will go before the Lord in the spirit and power of Elijah.
- John’s mission will be to turn the hearts of fathers to their children and bring about reconciliation.
- He will also guide the disobedient towards the wisdom of the just, preparing a people for the Lord.
These prophecies reveal the significant role that John the Baptist would play in preparing the way for the coming of Jesus Christ.