the Jewish expectations about the Messiah.
- They expected a political leader who would overthrow their colonial rulers, the Romans.
- The Messiah would rule the world from Jerusalem and receive homage from all nations of the earth.
- Jerusalem would be the new political centre of the world.
- He would uphold Judaism.
- He would have God’s spirit to perform miracles.
- The Messianic Kingdom would be accomplished through God’s judgement on Israel’s enemies.
- He would be a descendant of David.
- He would come after the return of Elijah.
- He would not associate with the poor, the Gentiles and sinners.
- Cosmic signs would precede the arrival of the Messiah.