CHRISTIAN APPROACHES TO SELECTED ISSUES RELATED TO MODERN SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT
Learning Outcomes: By the end of the topic, you should b able to:
- Explain the Christian view on some issues related to modern science and technology
- Explain the Christian view on the effects of modern science and technology on the environment
LESSON ONE: DEFINITIONS
Science – subject field that deals with a systematic study of our surroundings and behaviour of materials in the universe
It is based on observation, experimentation and measurement.
Technology – application of science to achieve desired objectives.
Environment – our surroundings – both natural and human made i.e. mountains, lakes, land, forests, animals, buildings, flowers etc
LESSON TWO: POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Learning outcomes: By the end of the lesson you should be able to: –
- State the various ways that science and technology has improved our lives
- State the negative effects of science and technology
Ways science and technology has improved human lives
1) Improvement of crop production – a quality seeds, fertilizers leading to improved yields
2) Better nutrition, health care, medical services
3) Improvement of livestock production through artificial insemination, quality medicine leading to more milk production.
4) It has led to development of efficient means of transport – land, air, seas
5) Work has been made easier and enjoyable. There is use of machines, automation, use of computers.
6) People’s lives have been spared, saved e.g. through life saving machines (ICU), incubators
7) Business transactions are being done through the internet
Communication has been made easy – fax, email, short text messages on mobile phones etc
9) Research is ongoing for incurable diseases i.e. HIV / AIDS, cancer
10) There is better management of environment
11) Technology has made the world a global village
12) Through family planning methods, its easier to control population growth
13) There’s a better security system through use of scanners, alarms, electrified fences etc.
14) Improvement of learning through e–learning
15) There’s easier movement from one country to another
Negative effects of science and technology
- People use medicine to commit suicide
- Increase of crime, fraud and death through modern means of communication
- Destruction of family relationships
- Breakdown of community names, values morals, breakdown of families
- Greed for money / materialism
- Unemployment – replacement of personnel by machines
- Health hazards such as accidents in factories
- Pollution, air poisoning