Explain six factors which undermined the use of indirect rule in Southern Nigeria.
- Lack of centralized indigenous systems.
- The South had many ethnic groups with diverse languages and cultures.
- The Br. Introduction of forced labour and direct taxation was resented by the people.
- The educated Southern elites were opposed to the colonial-appointed administrators especially chiefs.
- The Br. Failure to understand the role of the Oba leaders.
- The colonial-appointed warrant chiefs missed power by raising taxes and harassing women.
- The Br. Administrators used excessive force in dealing with African resentment.
- Communication barrier due to lack of common language.