Ways through which a marriage partner is chosen in traditional African communities.
- A relative/mediator/identifies a girl from a family and suggested to the of the family of the young man.
- Parents make the decision for children when still young.
- Parents of the boy visits the parents of a girl to ask for her hand in marriage.
- The young people could court and choose who to marry
- The first wife chooses a girl for her husband.
- The young man and his age-mates waylay a girl and take her away for marriage.
- Bride-price could be paid to a family well in advance
- A young girl can be given as gift to another family
- Some exchange the girls from the two families.
- One could inherit a brother’s wife
- A young girl could be given a way of settling a dispute/replace one who had died/setting debts.