Explain three ways in which lakes influence the climate of the surrounding areas.
- Large lakes contribute large quantities of moisture which aids in the formation of convectional rainfall.
- Lakes increase the absolute humidity of the surrounding area by adding extra moisture through evaporation.
- Lakes facilitate the development of land and lake breezes through creation of pressure differences between water surface and the land surface.
- Air currents from lakes lower the temperature of the surrounding regions during the hot/summer season.
- During winter, lake breezes may bring a warming effect to adjacent regions e.g The Great lakes of North America.
- Land and lake breezes may strengthen or reverse the pattern of prevailing winds over adjacent regions