Describe the origin of continents according to the theory of continental drift.
- There was initially one super continent/Landmass known as Pangaea.
- It was surrounded by large water mass known as Panthalassa.
- Later Pangaea broke into two continents namely Laurasia (Northern continent) and Gondwanaland (Southern continent).
- The two were separated by a narrow ocean called Tethys.
- Laurasia split into the current Northern continents: North America, Europe and Asia, while Gondwanaland split to the currentSouthern continents: Africa, South America, India, Australia, New Zealand and Antarctica.