Explain how varnish in applied to newly prepared surface
Procedure of applying a varnish
- Prepare surface seal grain with a thin coat of shellac if required
- Apply first coat of thinned to the correct consistency using long strokes of the brush along the grain
- Dry for 18 – 24 hours, sand along the grain with no. of glass paper and dust – off.
- A second coat is applied and allowed to dry for 24 to 48 hours
- The work piece is sanded as in step 3 above using sand paper no. 400 water proof dry paper.
- A third coat is applied and allowed to dry for 24 to 48 hours