Outline the precautions observed when handling bees.
- Approach the beehive from behind always
- Avoid frightening the bees as this makes then wild and sting
- Wear protective clothing be in the right attire when handling bees
- Use the smoker properly i. e apply 2- 3 puffs of smoke around the hive then directly into through entrance holes
- Do not crush with the bees as this will make the whole colony excited
- Move quietly towards the beehive to avoid alerting them
- If stung do not run away or throw combs down
- If stung scrap off the stings with a sharp nail/razor blade. Rubbing releases more poison into the body
State the duties of a worker bee in a bee colony.
- They feed the queen and the brood
- Clean the hive
- Protect the hive from intruders as they have stings
- Build the combs using wax that they secrete from the glands
- Collect pollen and nectar
- Make honey and wax
- Place the eggs in the comb cells
- Regulate temperature in the hive
- Seal cracks in the hive
Describe the procedure of extracting honey from honeycombs using heat method.
- The honey combs are placed in a plastic container which is immersed in boiling water in another container
- The combs are heated until honey melts
- The honey is separated from the combs by straining using a muslin cloth into clean container
- Allow the honey to cool
- Remove the wax layer that forms on honey surface
- Pack the honey in clean containers ready for marketing
people found this article helpful. What about you?