Describe the prerequisites of clean milk production
- Health milking stock – Ensure the cows are health and tested annually for milk borne diseases. Those that are infected are removed from the head and treated. Test for mastitis before each milking
- Clean milking cows -Ensure that the flanks, the underline and the udder are washed before each milking and clip off long hair on the flanks and the udder to avoid milk contamination
- Clean milkman -The milkman should be clean, keep the finger nails and hair short / hair covered and wear white overall when milking and handling milk
- Health milkman – a milkman with contagious diseases should not milk or handle milk
- Clean milking shed/parlor – should be cleaned after each milking and kept free of dust and bad smell. White washed wall.
- Clean milking utensils – the utensils should be washed with hot water and detergent and rinsed with clean water after each milking
- Filtration and cooling – Filter and cool milk down immediately after milking to slow down bacteria multiplication.
- Properhandling of milk after milking. Store milk in cool, dry and dust free room
- Deliver milk to consumers immediately after milking
- Avoid bad-flavour – do not feed cow of feeds like Mexican marigold before milking. (Given after milking). Avoid oxidation/exposing to the sun for long. Use utensils that are free of iron and copper- traces on the surface.