Give five factors that led to the development of urban centres in Africa during the pre-colonial period. (5mks)
- Trading activities led to the rise of convergent centres which later developed into towns.
- The existence of local industries led to population concentration in place that later developed into towns / mining centres.
- Existence of trade routes which linked various places led to the development of towns at major crossroads.
- Administration / royal centres later developed into towns.
- Development of centres of leasing later became urban centres.
- Religious centres.
- Places that were secure attracted population concentration and later developed into towns.
- Ports and harbours which were used as calling stations for replenishments developed into urban centres.