Describe the scial organization of the shona during the 19th century. (10mks)
- The Shona were divided into clans with names coined from animals.
- They believed in the existence of a supreme being and creator known as Mwari.
- Had sacred places of worship / shrines.
- Priests presided over religious functions and led the rest of the people in the worship of Mwari priests came from
- the Rozwi clan.
- They believed in the existence of ancestral spirits communicated through Svikiro, a departed family or clan member.
- They had different kinds of spirits Vadzimu (family spirits), Mhondoro (clan spirit) Chaminuka (national spirit).
- Were a polygamous society.
- Marriage between related clans was prohibited.
- Lived in stone buildings and were skilled in masonry.
- Had a kinship system which was patrilineal (inheritance through the father).