Describe the way of life of the people who lived in the coastal city state of Kenya by 1500 AD.
- The people lived in settlements that were politically independence of each other. The
- settlement were ruled by Muslims leaders/sultans.
- The majority of the inhabitants of the city states were Muslims.
- The people who lived in the city states spoke Kiswahili.
- They participated in the Indian Ocean Trade.
- They architectural designs of their houses were influenced by Arabian and Persian designs.
- They practiced mixed farming. They grew bananas, yams and coconuts.
- They fished in the Indian Ocean – fish/sea food was a major part of their diet.
- They practiced spinning and weaving.
- The city states were ruled according to the Islamic laws/sharia.
- Their way of dressing was influenced by Arabian way of dressing/buibui