State and explain any five cultural method of controlling weeds
Cultural methods of weed control
- Crop rotation: controls wed that are associated with certain crops eg. Striga in maize fields.
- Cover cropping -: smoothers weeds preventing their growth.
- Flooding: controls non – aquatic weeds in rice fields.
- Timely planting: enable crops to establish earlier thus smothering weeds.
- Proper spacing: creates very little space for weed growth and forms canopies that suppress weeds.
- Clean seed bed. It starts off the crop on a clean bed to enable it to compete effectively with weeds.
- Use clean seed/ planting materials: this prevents introduction of a new weed into the farm.