Explain eight factors that encourage soil erosion
Factors that encourage soil erosion.
- Lack of ground cover exposes soil to agents of soil erosion/ removal of cover crops.
- Steep slopes increase the speed of surface run-off hence erosive power of water.
- Light/ sandy soils are easily carried away by agents of soil erosion.
- Shallow soils are easily saturated with water and carried away.
- Frequent cultivation / over cultivation pulvenses the soil making it easy to detach and be carried away.
- Overstocking leads to overgrazing which destroys ground cover exposing it to agents of erosion.
- High amount of rainfall increases saturation of soil with water thus increasing soil erosion.
- Cultivation of the river banks destroys river line vegetation exposing it to soil erosion agents.
- Ploughing up and down the slopes creates water channels which encourage soil erosion.
- High rainfall intensity increases impact of raindrop thus encouraging raindrop erosion.
- Burning of vegetation leaves land bare exposing it to erosion agents.
- Cultivating soil when too dry or too wet destroys soil structure making soil easily eroded.