Describe the establishment of cabbages under the following subheadings.
i)Land preparation (3mks)
Establishment of cabbages under.
- Clear the vegetation
- Plough / dig deeply to eradicate perennial weeds.
- Harrow to a medium tilth
- Prepare land during the dry season.
- Transplanting the seedlings at the age of four to six weeks
- Transplant during a cloudy or cool day.
- Water the nursery bed thoroughly before transplanting.
- Lift seedlings with a ball of soil around the roots to avoid damaging the roots.
- Water the field well before transplanting.
- Apply a handful of well decomposed organic manure or one table spoonful of DSP per hole.
- Apply suitable insecticides to control soil borne pests.
- Plant seedlings at the same depth as they were in the nursery.
- Firm the soil well around the base of the seedlings.